Ultra-Rugged Tablet Computers: Are They the Wise Choice for Your Business?
When it comes to enterprise mobile computing, tablets are an increasingly popular choice for a wide variety of industries, including manufacturing and warehousing and transportation and logistics.
When moving to a tablet, there’s a fundamental choice in functionality and cost between consumer-grade devices and ultra-rugged tablets. Consumer devices are not built to withstand the rigors of all-day use in an industrial, outdoor, or other harsh environment. But ultra-rugged and enterprise-grade tablets are often extremely expensive and too feature-rich for enterprise solutions.
Finding the Right Tablet for Your Business
Zebra Technologies has engineered a great solution with their ET50 and ET55 enterprise tablets, which provide the flexibility to choose the features and functionality you need while still providing ultra-rugged durability to withstand the harshest environments.
Flexibility and Enterprise Capabilities
The ET50 and ET55 tablets allow you to choose the Windows or Android operating system, and you get flexibility in connectivity with 802.11 a/b/g/n for Windows and 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/d/h/l for Android. The ET55 also adds 4G LTE networking support for when you need to use a tablet outside the four walls and away from your Wi-Fi. You can choose between an 8.3-inch or 10.1-inch display. This provides a great option for choosing the right screen size for your business applications. The tablets feature an integrated 8-megapixel camera and a 2-megapixel front camera.
Zebra’s tablets offer fast, reliable, and advanced data capture capabilities. Optional advanced imaging engines allow workers to capture any 1D or 2D barcode, regardless of where it is displayed, including on a mobile phone screen or on printed paper, even if the code is damaged, scratched, or poorly printed.
Enterprise Durability, Reliability, and Usability
No enterprise tablet is worthy of consideration without ensuring high reliability and durability. Zebra has taken this very seriously by engineering its tablets to withstand far more than just all-day business use. There are many features that set Zebra’s devices apart:
- An integrated, user-removable battery offers the longest life in its class and can be changed on the fly.
- The screen is made with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 with Native Damage Resistance. Workers can drop it, spill a drink on it, or use it in the rain or snow and even in dusty environments.
- IP65 sealing provides a dust-tight design that can handle a full-force hose-down.
- The standard Zebra tablet can withstand repeated drops from up to 3.2 feet. If increased protection is necessary, an optional rugged frame designed to meet the U.S. military’s MIL-STD-810G allows the tablets to withstand repeated drops to concrete from up to 5.9 feet.
- The ET50 and ET55 are also designed to withstand extreme temperatures and humidity. The operating temperature range is 32 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit and the storage range is -4 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Humidity range is 10 to 90 percent.
- A vibrant touch display provides remarkable flexibility and reliability. The stylus makes it easy to capture signatures, annotate a photo or electronic document, create a sketch, take notes, and do much more.
Optimizing Your Device with Accessories
A variety of accessories including battery and expansion packs, a 4-slot battery charger, a rigged charge cable, and cradle and holder solutions enhance the tablets’ capabilities.
Learn More and Check Out the Zebra ET50 and ET55
In all, Zebra’s ET50 and ET55 tablets provide an affordable and ideal solution to enterprise tablet needs without sacrificing durability or consumer styling. To learn more about Zebra’s tablets, check out Zebra’s enterprise tablet spec sheet or contact Barcom today.